So, can you blame me? It’s been awhile, I know. But I’ve been distracted by that little face and those tiny toes and the kissable little cheeks and… um, what was I saying? Oh yeah, the blog.
I’m not going to make excuses. I was, well, pregnant. Yup. Baby-ville consumed my brain, and I simply couldn’t handle much beyond my job, my posts on The Strong Buzz and the crazy commute. And once the baby arrived, the blog became a faint memory that I would fondly recall in the haze of sleeplessness, diaper changes, feedings and the like. It didn’t help that my free time quickly shrank into nothingness. Can you blame me for wanting to spend every waking moment with this little guy?
The longer I waited to post, the harder it became to come back. What would I write? Who was going to read it?
But now that he’s here and life has settled back into what vaguely resembles a normal routine (if such things exist in new mommy hood), I look back and wish I hadn’t abandoned this blog completely. I wonder what ever happened to the girl who started off the year with a resolution to write a post a week. It sounded promising. But the weeks turned into months and my last post was in, ahem, June. Eeek. Yes. It’s embarrassing. Shameful, even.
It’s just that, throughout the pregnancy, my desire to cook was pushed to the darkest recesses of the back burner next to that dried up piece of forgotten spaghetti. Dinners consisted of the simplest recipes you could possibly imagine. Cravings ranged from carbs to carbs to more carbs and pretty much anything else that resembled kid food. Another grilled cheese, please, balanced out by a spinach and kale salad brimming with veggies for lunch so I wouldn’t feel too guilty. And on most nights my poor husband got stuck with both cooking and cleaning up duties (which is why he’s the best ever).
So if you’re still out there, I’d like to apologize for the silence. I know my blog has sucked for the past few months. And boy do I owe you some recipes. But for now, here’s a fun little recap of the best food I ate while pregnant:
Top 5 non-recipes I made while pregnant:
- 5 ingredient pasta – fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic, onion, olive oil, arugula (or basil or spinach or whatever greens you have on hand).
- Quesadillas – two corn tortillas filled with grilled chicken and cheese or beans
- Naan pizza – usually with fresh mozzarella, red peppers, and arugula piled on top
- Eggs – I was completely scrambie-obsessed
- Pasta Carbonara – our very own bare-bones recipe with bite-sized pieces of cooked ham, toasted walnuts (or pignoli) and um, well, eggs again
Top 5 most memorable restaurant meals I ate while pregnant:
- Porterhouse for two at Perilla – one of my fave restaurants (check out my article on The Strong Buzz here.)
- Tia Pol – haven’t been back since the baby. SHAME!
- Mac and cheese from Beecher’s Handmade Cheese – if you haven’t been. Go. Their flagship cheese is perfection and you can watch them make it fresh right in the store.
- Union Square Cafe – don’t tell, but I cheated and ate Gorgonzola polenta. It’s like pregnancy food at its finest (despite that pesky can’t-eat-unpasteurized-cheese rule).
- Ilili’s Brussels sprouts – crispy, sweet, and you can pretend they’re healthy.