I interrupt zucchini week to bring you… truffles! I finally cracked the recipe, so please let me know what you think of these. Something about them reminds me of ice cream. In fact, if you stop after step 1, it’s pretty much a delicious chocolately strawberry gelato-ey smoothie that’s miraculously breakfast worthy (try saying that 5 times fast!). The chia seeds and oats add protein while the cacao powder has tons of amazing benefits. Snack away!
Strawberry “ice cream” Truffles with Cacao
Makes about a dozen
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in water for 20 minutes (or up to overnight)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut butter
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 medjool dates, pitted
- ¾ cups rolled oats (look for gluten-free, which means they haven’t been contaminated in processing since oats are naturally gluten-free)
- Place soaked, drained cashews in a high-speed blender or food processor. Top with strawberries, cacao, coconut butter, chia, maple syrup and dates. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the rolled oats. Let set in fridge for 10-15 minutes. Using a cookie scoop or your hands, roll into bite-sized pieces. Store in fridge. Enjoy.
DO AHEAD: These amazeballs of deliciousness will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. Personally, I think they taste even better and hold together better the next day anyway (if they last!).
(ps. don’t they kind of look like little scoops of ice cream?!)