1) You can eat the blossoms. In fact, they are considered a delicacy
2) Largest zucchini on record weighed 65lbs and was 7 feet 10 inches long!
3) Bigger is not better in this case: the most flavorful zucchini are small-to-medium sized and the darker the skin, the richer the nutrients
4) Zucchini are a member of the cucumber AND melon family
5) Christopher Columbus originally brought the seeds to the Mediterranean region and Africa
6) One zucchini is called a “zucchina”
7) A “zucchina” has more potassium than a banana
How to choose:
Should be heavy in hand and firm to the touch, not spongy or with pitted skin. Remember, the darker the skin the more nutrients it has and the smaller- to medium-sized ones are tastier.
How to store:
Store in a plastic bag in the crisper drawer in the fridge for 2-3 days.
To catch the replay of these fun facts, click here.
Thanks for tuning in!