Get ready to grab a straw, because you’re gonna want to slurp this curry sauce by the boatload. Use it as a dip for crispy potatoes or as a topping for chicken or fish. Or simply smother it over roasted veggies and swoon.
Pistewali Curry (Pistachio Curry Sauce)
ACTIVE: 15 MIN TOTAL: 30 MINS
for the curry sauce
- 2 Tbsp ghee (or coconut oil)
- 2 cloves
- 2 peppercorns
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- Squeeze of lime, to finish
for the pistachio pesto
- ½ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp water, to blend
How To Make It
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ghee and heat until melted. Add whole cloves and peppercorns to the heated ghee and toast until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add onions, followed by the minced garlic and grated ginger and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes, reducing heat if needed so onions cook without browning.
- Add coriander and garam masala to onion mixture and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking a few minutes longer so all flavors incorporate. Add entire can of coconut milk and melt it into the sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. In a food processor, pulse together the pistachios, cilantro, jalapeños and water. Add directly to the coconut milk sauce and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Serve over just about anything (don’t forget to take out those 2 cloves and 2 peppercorns first). Finish with a squeeze of lime, if desired.
Recipe by Andrea Branchini
Inspired by Mughlai Khana, a popular Indian cookbook by Tarla Dalal