Need a quick, easy dessert idea that’s perfect for Mother’s Day brunch or BBQs? This right here is so simple to make and bursting with spring flavors. Serve it as part of an ice cream sundae bar (it’s so good over vanilla bean ice cream!) and then you can swirl some into your oatmeal at breakfast the next morning too! Or you can dig in and eat it straight out the bowl as your mom is recipe testing like my son did. It’s that good. The mixed berries balance out the tartness of the rhubarb. Ginger is optional, but gives it a hint of extra zing. Enjoy!
- 3 stalks rhubarb, roughly chopped
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1-inch knob ginger, diced (optional)
- pinch salt
Special equipment: High-speed blender
How To Make It
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add all the ingredients.
- Bring to a soft simmer and let cook until rhubarb breaks apart easily and sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir every now and then and keep an eye on it. Lower heat if it starts to stick to the edges too much. Once thickened, turn of heat and set pan aside to cool.
- Once mixture is cooled, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth (or if you don’t mind a little texture, you can leave it as is).
- Serve over ice cream, on toast, on oatmeal or straight up!